Monday, April 27, 2009

MTV base's first presenter is liberian

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.comNadia Bitar has been announced as MTV base's first presenter. This 26-year-old will be presenting the show MTV base Live! and her first show (MTV base LIVE! Ghana) can be seen at 9pm on Wednesday, with a repeat at 7.30pm on Youth Day, June 16.
Born of mixed Liberian-Lebanese parentage and growing up during the Liberian civil war, TV presenter, model and actress Nadia quickly discovered how to be motivated and adaptable. After working for household-name fashion labels such as Gucci, Nadia's interest in the television industry encouraged her to pursue a media studies degree in television.
She subsequently capitalised on her practical knowledge as a freelance production assistant and researcher at Sky News Network, and for BBC's consumer affairs programmes.
In her spare time, she managed to find an acting role on BBC2's Harry and Cosh.
Nadia recently spent two years visiting and living in various countries including Burundi, South Africa, Rwanda, Spain, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, Uganda, and the US. After six years in London, she moved to New York, where she has focused on her modelling career. She recently completed a modelling assignment for Tommy Hilfiger's summer advertising campaign.
Here we find out more about this passionate and confident young lady.
Date of Birth: January 23, 1979Place of Birth: Monrovia, Liberia.
First Memory: Crying because my sister and cousin were going away to boarding school and I didn't want to be left behind.
First Pet: We grew up with a zoo, literally, dogs, cats, rabbits, gold fish, anteater, monkey, antelope. The list goes on. I guess the first thing that was mine was my albino pigeon.
First Crush: Prince Tolbert - my first love. I was 13.
Favourite Colour: WhiteFavourite Item of Clothing: Jeans, I live in them.Favourite Fashion Brands: Roberto Cavalli, D&G, La Perla and Jimmy Choo. I'm loving Dsquared right now.
Favourite Pass-Time: Writing and reading.
Worst Fashion Disaster: My family says my white cowboy boots. I used to tuck in my jeans, I was so skinny - it was quite a sad state. I still think they're cool and of course I still have a pair of weather beaten cowboy boots.
Favourite hangout (New York, London, Cape Town, Liberia?): Oh, that's unfair! New York: my neighbourhood, I live in Greenwich Village - cute coffee shops, the pier, shopping! London: Maison Blanc café - the best almond croissants in the world! And (horseback) riding in Hyde Park . Cape Town: on a catamaran at sunset looking at Table Mountain and the city. Liberia: on the beach - I'm a beach bum!
Favourite band/artist: Top five: Brandy, Floetry, Keane, Destiny's Child and Linkin Park.
Favourite song: Now you're gone by Floetry.
Favourite movie: The English PatientFirst CD ever bought: Boyz ll Men Evolution
Last CD you bought: Mariah CareyFavourite music genre:
R&BFavourite Food: Grilled steak or fois gras on a bed of arugula, drizzled in cherry balsamic vinegar.
Favourite place on earth: Swimming in the sea. There's a calmness about me when I'm swimming that seems almost spiritual. There's an island called Lamu off the coast of Kenya that has one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. There's coral, dolphins, little ponds of water and this silver plant on land that seems to sparkle when you're in the ocean.
Favourite holiday destination: Greece - Mykonos, Sefalonia and Santorini.
Hobbies and passions: Horseback riding, writing poetry, cooking, reading and travelling. I live to experience new things.
What's your best feature: My eyes.
Biggest Inspiration: My sister. She believes in me and supports me.
Biggest dream: Working on a lifestyle show travelling the world and showcasing beauty in diversity. Basically what I'll be doing for MTV, only reaching a larger audience.
What's the worst injustice in the world: Poverty. We live in a world where babies die of hunger while politicians fatten their Swiss bank accounts. Need I say more?How would you make the world a better place? Getting a few people to not be afraid of the unknown. I believe that racism, terrorism and war are caused because people are afraid of what they don't know. I believe in karma and doing unto others as I'd have them do unto me. When I can get that across to a few people in the hope that they will do so also, then my work here is done. And I can move onto the next issue.
Who's your best friend? My sister, Laila Bitar.
Biggest Regret: I live in the present and believe that everything we do teaches us a lesson, whether negative or positive, and I try to take that from every experience - hence, I have no regrets. If I had to do it again I wouldn't change thing

No comments:

Post a Comment