Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Ghost of Christmas Present


Photobucket



Photobucket




Retelling the story of Charles Dickens' Scrooge is a rich part of our annual family
Christmas tradition.



The tale is a brilliant, vibrant, and emotional reminder of what our attitudes should reflect, (not just during, but then again, especially) during the holidays. Giving, as Scrooge agonizingly...then joyously discovered, can help warm the cold dankness of melancholy...a blunt visual reminder of the smallness of selfishness and the largeness of giving.




With the news of a NEW Scrooge movie coming this winter, this sculpture will be a personal interpretation of the Ghost of Christmas Present who visited him in his lonely bed chamber. The picture above is a *vision* of what I hope her to be.
So far, her head, face and body are almost done. She is wearing a bit of temporary draping as I figure out what her dramatic cloak will actually be. The two street urchins Ignorance and Want will be draped within the folds of her gown sheltered under her black cape. She will a larger sculpture, almost 12 inches! Hopefully the set will be completed by the middle of November.



I have stopped progress on Christmas Present as I devote all my time to work on two very lovely custom pieces. Next weekend I hope to post pictures of one of them. A soft, and very whimsical, velvet bird with a wee royal baby nestled happily on her back. Thus far, I am so pleased with their outcome!



My hope is that this short note finds you well and content, my friends. And That you are thoroughly enjoying the changing of seasons as we head into a most wonderful time of year. May your hearts be inspired
by the Wonder of it!



love, Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment