Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Exclusive Interview: Malcom Wilson of Prince & Thieves Clothing Co.


Yeah, you know what it is. I'm always on the search for up and coming designers, so here goes a new one for you all. Malcolm Wilson was born and raised in Michigan. This22 year old has been on the move ever since graduating from high school, traveling back and forth between California, New York, and Atlanta. Always having a knack for fashion, Wilson said that designing has always been a dream that he finally decided to make reality in early 2007. I had the pleasure of catching him while he was still in town for a while to get a quick interview with him and his clothing line, Prince & Thieves.

CN: Tell us about the day you came up with the idea to create your own clothing line?

MW: The day I came up with my own line I was working security in Atlanta. I was on many of the fashion blog sites I visit. The more I started to become more interested into fashion, the more people brought it to my attention that I should give it a try. So I attended fashion school in 2008, even though the blueprint of Prince & Thieves has been made since 07.

CN: Are you an independent designer or is there a team?

MW: In a way I'm the sole designer of my line but I do have Justin Goodman from Queens, New York, owner of his own line that helps me with the in's and outs of it (Shout out to Paste Clothing!). I also have a team that include Kordero Pennyman and Ashlee Arder. They play a big part in the promotion aspect of the line and I am grateful to have them apart of the team.

CN: Where do you get a lot of your inspiration from?

MW: I guess I get most of my inspiration from the streets. The SoHo area in NY, Melrose Ave. in LA, Lil 5 points in ATL. Pharell, Ye, Currensy, Hypebeast, Rob Dyrdek from Rob and Big...I could go on and on, lol!

CN: If you could work with any designer out there, who would it be and why?

MW: Good question. I would work with Nigo from A Bathing Ape and Sean Stussy from Stussy. The reason being is because Nigo and Sean established there companies in the early 90's, setting the way for all street brands and still haven't sold out to the malls. It's still very rare to find authentic garments of both Stussy and Bape even though they almost got killed by the fakes!

CN: What are some of your long-term business goals?

MW: In the long run I want to have a chain of boutiqes and skate teams. But also want to dip in the higher end of fashion - Gucci and such, you know? The whole runway fashion is really appealing to me. That's long term for me for, but for now I'm gone skate or die, lol.

CN: Are there any upcoming projects from P & T we should be looking out for?

MW: P&T is coming hard! No disrespect to any other companies cause I respect their grind but we're coming. I have the Don Cannon store in Atlanta looking at us, Dj Mikeboogie's store and a mixtape and skate team. We also have our Summer '09 line and the collaboration with Paste Clothing; Paste x Thieves. It's crazy!

CN: Where can people purchase their own Prince & Thieves tee?

MW: Far as now, contacting me through email (prince.thieves.co@gmail.com) or my blog site www.princethievesclothing.blogspot.com is the best way to contact me. Oh, and I'm still hood sp if you got my number call and place an order, lol.

Click here to visit the Prince & Thieves MySpace page and check out the rest of their designs.


-Christopher Nic.

No comments:

Post a Comment