Monday, July 6, 2009

Looking For Substance??


Jeremih Felton, Def Jam's newest hitmaker released his self-titled debut album on June 30, 2009. Riding on the heels of "Birthday Sex", Jeremih touches on subjects of sex, sex, and maybe a little love. He uses one producer for the entire project, Mick Schultz, whom I have never heard of until I purchased the album. The album starts off with the mediocre "That Body" a song that takes lyrics from LSG's "My Body". He continues to sing about cars, bling, and being a star, as well as models on "Runway", which carries a catchy beat with it. Jeremih is nothing groundbreaking and if you are looking for any substance, this album isn't for you. The only songs with any meaning are "Starting All Over" in which Jeremih sounds like a young Raphael Saadiq over a Stevie Wonder melody. "My Sunshine" finds Jeremih crying about missing a lost love and the third single "Break Up to Make Up", he starts the track off by saying "Why should we break up when we keep making up? Let's just stay together." I'm not saying the album is horrible, (it's more of an album filled with innocent fun) but it's not what people may have expected. Especially not what I was expecting. The albums does have it's club hits, like "Jumpin", but be sure to stay away from the tracks "Hatin on Me" and "My Ride". The boy has the voice and I think with a variety of producers and better writing, Jeremih could avoid the sophomore slump. Maybe he should call on Stevie Wonder!

No comments:

Post a Comment