Thursday, October 16, 2008

Avenette is lib hottest star righ now

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Beauty is more than the physical appearance of a lady. But more to that is the talent which is imbued into that lady thus portraying her true beauty.

Not much was known of this little diva until she starred in the movie, 'Cat Kingdom' as Benetta, a girl who hailed from a poor parental background. She struggled for survival until she came across an old peer from high school who introduced her to the cult that transformed her life.

Ms. Avenette Tenema Sirleaf is the newest and hottest artist on the block. Her debut movie 'Cat Kingdom” had become the talk of the city, especially her splendid performance.

How I came in contact with this multitalented diva is an amazing story. Walking down Carey Street, one of Monrovia's busy hubs one evening, I glanced at a poster bearing the photos of three ladies and a guy. They were all familiar faces but I never had any personal interaction with them except for one - Princess Margaret. I picked up my mobile phone, dialed her number and requested information about one of the girls that caught my attention on the poster. She was Avenette.

Upon receipt of her contact number, I immediately called her and booked an appointment for the next day. The following day when I called, she answered, 'hello Sylvester, you will have to talk to my manager.' She gives me his number. When I dialed him, he couldn't be reached. So I called her back, she then gave me another appointment.

Again, she couldn't, due to ill health. I was persistent because I knew her worth but she saw it from another angle - that it was not good to be in the press.

However, when she recovered, my phone rang, and she surprisingly said. “Sylvester are you ready for the interview now?” Then I said to myself, I should be requesting an interview but it is now the reverse.

“Yes, if you are ready,” I responded.

“Okay, I'll be right there.”

True to her words this time around, she was ready, beaming with smiles for the interview.

Below are excerpts.

Q: Who is Avenette Sirleaf?

A. Avenette Tennema Sirleaf is a young and talented Liberian girl (laughs...), a Liberian actress and journalist. I worked with the Liberia Broadcasting System (LBS).

Q. What led you to acting?

A: Ehm… All my life, everything was an act. I feel I wasn't led into acting but I was born to act.

Q: What was your debut movie?

A: My first movie was 'Cat Kingdom', you gotta believe it.

Q: I learned you did extremely well?

A: That's what they said.

Q: And what do you say?

A: I say that was just my first movie and…

Q: Have you any prospect of doing another movie?

A: Yes, I've done one more called “To Love Again” and pretty soon I'll be doing two more… I cannot disclose the names now because the producer and I are still talking.

Q: What role did you play in Cat Kingdom?

A: I played the role of Benetta, a poor girl, parent poor, mother sick, father with a masters degree but no work at all. Benetta was a poor little girl and out of high school no money to go to college. In the process my mummy got sick. No money to take her to hospital. And then I came across a friend of mine from high school who was all flourishing big time. She introduced me to the Cat Kingdom…

Q: Who's this person?

A: She's Princess Margaret Cooper who is also a Liberian musician and she played the role of Rita in the movie.

Q: I learned that you have an album out. When did you start doing music?

A: I started back in junior high but nothing big; just a little gig here and there, especially at the Sports Commission when I was in high school. But I just came out with my debut album called “Back to school”.

Q: Tell us a bit about the songs on your album.

A: The titled track “Back to School” is more or like encouraging Liberian girls to go back to school and stop pretending, because at the end of the day you need something for yourself. So basically, I tell them that when they go to school they can buy their car, build their house and do whatever they want to do when they go to school. “If you go to school you'll not become anybody’s fool!”

Q: How many tracks do you have on the album?

A: I have five tracks; Back to school is there twice, I also have songs like Dirty Boy, Eat So, Eat So and Falling in Love

Q: Educational wise…

A: I attended the J.J. Roberts United Methodist School, and then later moved over to the College of West Africa where I graduated in 98/99 and I was fortunate to go to India, New Delhi to do my BA in Philosophy at a college called Lady Sherim College for women. I graduated in 2004 and then came back to Liberia.

Q. Lovelife?

A. Private. For now is all work.

Q. Family?

A. I was born unto the union of Mr. Ahmadu V. Sirleaf and Mrs. Mildred Sirleaf, both of whom are deceased. I am the youngest of three children. I have a brother and a sister whom I am following after.

Q. Who's your favorite artist?

A. The Nigerian stars, Genevive Nnaji, and Rita Dominque while the American musical diva Brandy, is my favorite musical artist.
By Slyvester Browne

No comments:

Post a Comment