Monday, January 19, 2009

Dopeness from the T dot!!!

Wassup cool people? Okay, while fiddling around on facebook, I became cool with an upcoming fashion designer from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Tyrone "TJ" Brookes, 20, is the creator and CEO of the Armed with a Rep clothing line. Now so far, all of the designs that I've seen are A1, but whats even better is the message behind his movement. In a "swagg" crazy world, I find it quite refreshing to see that someone still takes the time to put SUBSTANCE into their work! As an "anti-violence" activist, TJ wants the world to know that, "IF YOU ARE WILLING TO JOIN THE MOVEMENT WE CAN LIMIT VIOLENCE AND STOP THE PAIN". Personally, this is something that I strongly believe in, so I definitely got my T-shirt ordered!!..lol. But I managed to get an exclusive interview with the man behind the movement and this is what he had to say...




$k: How long has the AWR movement been going on?


TB: The "AWR" movement officially started June 07


$K: What exactly made you wanna start designing clothes?


TB: I think I am a very picky person when it comes to clothing, I do not shop in malls simply because everyone you know WILL have it. I had thought to myself many times as a young high school student, "I wish I could just make my own gear". This was just a thought and i knew it would take more then just an idea. Spring '07 my good friend Haider had been killed due to gang violence. Some say before this incident I was a targeted kid because I was loud, and always in bad situations. After my friend had been killed I decided to change my lifestyle or else I'd be in the same situation. Everyone knew I was good at drawing, and was very creative, weird at times. So I had turned my thoughts and ideas into reality. The name "AWR" confuses many but it's simple, Armed With a Rep. What does it mean? Well knowing that I only listen to old school hip hop, I was laying in my room one day and I started bumping this track called "Da graveyard" from Big L, Jay z and a bunch of artist. "Creep thru ya block F@#$ a glock I step, thru ya neighborhood armed with nothing but a rep"- Jay Z. I had taken the negativity out of this lyric and made it my own. Positive reputations inspire the young, REST IN VIOLENCE. We can make it happen.


$K: In the world of fashion who are some of your biggest influences?:



TB: Ed Hardy, Capital, Beasted, Scifen, and Beautiful decay


$K: Do you have any business partners?


TB: Travis Bothner ( Shanghai, China) Business mentor


$K: Is there anything else that u wanna start branching into besides fashion?




TB: I want to branch my business into non-profiting organization that deals with the rehabilitating of abused children and women. (drug, mental, and physical abuse). My business will also branch off into a urban night club located in the city of Toronto, Canada



$K: What distinguishes you from other designers?



TB: Armed With a Rep shows peace through fashion, and every design will teach you a morally correct way of living. X amount of proceeds with go to World Vision Canada, and this will help feed children in 3rd world countries.


$K: On a global scale, How far do you visualize AWR going?


TB: The Milky Way!!! No joke


$K: If you could have one celebrity to model your line, who would it be/why?



TB: I would want Will Smith to model my line simply because has been and always will be my idol. He is a man of respect and class, and my line will mimic the personality of greatness.



$K: Where do you draw inspiration from?


TB: Once again, the tragic death of my friend Haider had inspired me to do something for my life. My words and positive reputation can and will inspire others to live a favorable life.





Well, I hope on his way to the Milky Way, Mr. Brookes drops my T-Shirt off over here in Michigan!!..lol. You can check him out on Facebook.com for more info on how to get his exclusive items. As always, Be Safe And be fresh!! -$YD K3MP

No comments:

Post a Comment