Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Interview with BHF magazine Editor

Dear Sinem,
I really appreciated you for taking time from your busy schedule to do this interview.
I’m glad to be apart of your magazine team. I admired your work and you are my inspiration.

Thanks
It’s Michaela


Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com SINEM ONABANJO BHF MAGAZINE EDITOR
Michaela: So tell me a little about you.
Sinem: Where to begin? Originally from Turkey, I now reside in the UK where I have lived for the past nine years. I am thirty years of age and
married.
I've been writing since my teens, first starting out with poetry (the
kind of slushy stuff that every other teenager writes and thinks will
quality them as a literary genius), then with articles in a number of Turkish
magazines.
I had to take a break of writing when I started my PhD (in English
Language and Literature) and my teacher training (I still work as a
teacher of English. I took up writing professionally once again about a
year ago, writing for a number of publications in the UK, Turkey and
Nigeria.
Through my husband, I have taken up photography over the last three
years and currently work with him on a number of assignments for editorials
in a range of magazines, including BHF. I actually met our publishers,
Jennifer and Geoffrey Olisa through our photography work in November 2007 and it was as a result of that professional relationship, I was eventually
asked to first become a consulting editor and shortly after the managing
editor.

MIchaela: What’s your favorite part of been an editor of bhf
magazine?
Sinem: I absolutely love reading. I would some nights read in secret as my
parents thought I was straining my eyes too much, reading all hours of
the day (It also didn't help that I was seriously cross-eyed and my glasses
resembled bottle bottoms). I enjoy reading others' stories, learning
about their viewpoints and their perspectives on issues relating to Africa,
to fashion, to life in general.

Michaela: What is a typical day like for you as and editor?
Sinem: A typical day for me as an editor, on days I am fortunate enough to
devote a whole day to editing begins with checking my e-mails first to stay in
touch with the world and of course, Jennifer and Geoffrey who are based
in the US.
Since Geoffrey finally got me hooked on Skype, we also tend to
communicate through Skype, most days up to twice or three times a day, to discuss the look we have in mind for each article. Once the piece is ready, as the graphic designer, Geoffrey e-mails the piece over and I check to make
sure nothing is missing.
On days I am teaching, I get home around 5.00 or 6.00 pm and that is
when my job as an editor begins. I am a bit of a night owl, so I like
working into the early hours of the morning; I often don't get to bed before
1.00am. I find that night time is when I am at my most creative.

Michaela: Who are the typical readers of the BHF magazine in the
U.K?
Sinem: BHF readers in the UK, I would say, are educated (not necessarily in
the sense of how many degrees they have clocked but more in terms their
world view), outspoken, confident, forward-thinking individuals with a sense
of style, and identity; a new generation of Africans who are aware of the
issues Africa is still facing today but are keen to take action to do
their bit to help promote the Continent, not sweep issues under the
carpet, acknowledge what could still be better, in terms of politics,
poverty, poor health care, and scarcity of resources in parts of
Africa.
They are also the generation that take pride in what Africa has to
offer, in terms of mores, values, styles and represent Africa in a positive
way.

Michaela: Is there anything you can't simply live without?
Sinem: Firstly, my husband... I can probably live without him but it would
merely be existing... Then my pen and notepad (I take them everywhere I go).
Finally, if I am allowed one indulgence on my 'can't live without'
list, it has to be Haagen Dazs Cookies and Cream.

Michaela: How is BHF MAGAZINE COMING ON SO FAR? I NOTICE YOU
GUYS STARTED IN 2007
Sinem: Over the last six months, we have created a lot of momentum by updating regularly, featuring big names in fashion and entertainment in our
magazine, as well as promoting up and coming artists and designers. We
have built a team of regular contributors who are all amazing writers
in their fields. We have secured links with a range of other businesses
which will help us move forward.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.comTHE MAGAZINE

Michaela: What BHF stands for?
Sinem: "Blessed and highly favored"

Michaela: what do BHF magazine represents?
Sinem: BHF represents a movement, a generation... It is not just a fashion and lifestyle magazine; as the brainchild of Geoffrey and Jennifer Olisa,
it represents a movement of the new generation of Africans who aim to
shatter misconceptions of Africa and her people that unfortunately still exist
in many parts of the world today as well as presenting our perspectives
through the lenses of modern Africans - through written work, through
photography, fashion, art and the wonderful designs of Geoffrey Olisa
that complements and exalts each editorial piece into a work of art.

Michaela: As a Turkish woman, how do you feel about the African
culture?
Sinem: As a Turkish woman, I feel absolutely embraced by the Nigerian culture.
My husband and I have been together for seven years now; and although I
found some things in the Nigerian and Turkish culture quite similar, there
were quite a number of things about Nigerian culture I found equally
fascinating. And the more learn, the more you are drawn to it. After
seven years, most of our friends now consider me more 'Nigerian' than my
husband.

Michaela: What advice would you give to a writer or an aspiring
editor in the African community?

Sinem: I have noticed, over the course of the last couple of years, especially
with the rise of social networking sites, anyone who has written one
half-decent piece of writing, seems to flaunt the title 'writer' in
their resume. Writing, just like anything else, is a talent, those who are
blessed with it need to consistently nurture it and hone their skills;
those who might take an interest at a later stage need to be open to
feedback and constructive criticism. One simply does not become a
writer overnight.
An aspiring writer, I would say, should put themselves out there, pitch
to magazines in a professional way, have their ideas ready. Many people go
about it in such an unprofessional way that in the end it does not
reflect well on them. Do your homework, research the magazine you want to write for or edit for, have a feel for the style and types of writing they
are looking for, have a couple of ideas you can pitch to the editor.
Otherwise, if you contact and editor saying "I can write anything, just
give me an idea" the chances are you won't be taken seriously. Editors
are there to guide you, not do the thinking for you. Michaela: Thank You, Sinem Onabanjo, It was a pleasure interviewing you, and I look forward to it again.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.comsinem and husband

No comments:

Post a Comment