Thursday, May 15, 2008

Ellie Owen


Browsing MySpace(a.k.a "The Space"), I came across a designer by the name of Ellie Owen. In the process of looking at some of his pieces I immediately realized that this was a job for Liv Lux. Coincidently, He must've been thinking the same thing about us because I got a message from HIM asking to check him out! When I say this man has some of the most unique pieces I have ever seen, I mean it! With everything from Marshmellow dresses to backwards blazer dresses! Only being 21 years old, Owen has already started to gain an impressive reputation for himself and his line, named after the one and only(him-not me, lol). He has already been featured in numerous other websites and Liv Lux doesn't mind being added to the list. When Owen agreed to particpate in the interview I knew this was going to be a good one. Why don't you see for yourself and decide what you think of him and his designs. Ladies and Gentlemen...Mr. Ellie Owen.


CN: When did you first start designing?

EO: In high school. I would customize clothing for my classmates and sell it to them. Always hustling...

CN: What inspired you?

EO: Certain things just hit me, but I'm inspired by the feel of certain fabrics, old music like Frank Sinatra and Shirley H...life, colors. Everyday is a new inspiration.

CN: What's the hardest part in being an up and coming designer?

E0: The business end of design in very hard. I am trying to find investors and take my company to the next level. The whole finance side is up and down in this industry. Also writing my business plan.

CN: What do you look to provide to your customers?

EO: I want the Ellie Owen girl to know that when she puts one of my pieces on she will stop whatever else is going on in the room. It's like a formula, confidence+Ellie Owen=Show stopper. I provide fun, sexy, artsy clothing.

CN: Do you have a favorite piece in your collection? If so, which one and why?

EO: My favorite piece is the backwards blazer dress. I feel that we are going to start seeing a lot more men's formal wear inspired pieces in female fashion. I have always wanted to make it and will probably redo it in a future collection. It's different and an attention grabber.

CN: What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?

EO: My biggest accomplishment is knowing God. He is the reason I have what I have. I did not got to design school, I taught myself to sew and I'm a current college student. So God's favor is my biggest accomplishment (I'm still striving for it).

CN: Who is the most influential person in your life & why?

EO: My mother. I design for strong confident, unafraid women. That is my mother all the way. Women do run the world. They can use their charm to get anything. It is a secret power. That's not being a hoe either. Women should be classy flirty fun, but strong all at the same time.

CN: Do you have any advice that you would give to other up and coming designers?

EO: Pray and research. If you believe you can do it, you will do it. You just have to put in the work. RESEARCH is the most important. Fashion is a huge industry and has many jobs. It is definitely not all glamorous.


While you're busy browsing "The Space" make sure you stop by our friend, Ellie Owen's Myspace Page and check out the rest of his creations. You're in for a treat!


-Christopher Nic.

No comments:

Post a Comment